The last month at Funker HQ has been one of the most productive we've had in our 13 years of existence. Our dream of getting the Funker530 mobile app into the iOS and Android stores was something I didn't think would ever happen, but thanks to our Hammrtech dev team we were able accomplish that goal at the end of June. Every day our dev team and myself are collecting community feedback and implementing improvements as quickly as we can. The following list is what we've accomplished this month for the 1.4 update, and our plans for the near future:
- Removed the next and previous video buttons from the player as they do not function as intended
- Expanded player size to fit ultra wide monitors
- Improved login and signup page pop ups for the app and website
- Improved comment spam detection
- Solved an issue that was causing comments from many users not to appear publicly
- Removed some ads from the site to clean up the user experience.
- Adjusted the pre-roll ad schedule so viewers aren't seeing the same ad for hours on end
- Solved the jumbled comments issue which would make the comment section look corrupt
- The 18+ checkbox now functions properly. NSFW tagged posts, combat, and police videos are blocked if the box is unchecked. This is primarily to abide by App Store guidelines.
- Clarification regarding email verification has been added and improved.
- Added a "Resend Verification Email" to user profile pages
- Your own comments will now appear at the top of the comment feed after the comments refresh
- Added "Open App" button on mobile to encourage app use, which has caused community engagement to explode over the last two weeks
- We built and launched our freakin' app!!!
- Upgraded some aspects of the servers to handle increased traffic from the mobile app
- We've begun adding a new west coast server for greater stability, speed, and uptime overall.
UPCOMING UPDATES FOR August/September
- Increase speed of comments loading in
- Constant improvement to the site's user interface based on community feedback
- Remove the need for comments to be refreshed after a comment has been posted
- Solve issues with the video player not limiting ads per viewer to only a few per session
- Further testing and optimization of our servers. As we grow, there will be continued periods of down time as we scale, but we have systems in place to reduce their frequency. Trust me, downtime is way more stressful for us than it is for you and we're focusing heavily on site stability as malicious traffic increases from Iran and Russia.
We have become one of the very few social media communities to make the transition from total reliance on platforms out of our control, to having our own app and a direct connection to our community through push notifications. We're already seeing a massive increase in website traffic and it's allowing us to develop at a pace that was previously impossible. We've exceeded 25,000 app installs, with a 4.9 overall rating on iOS and Android stores, and I can't thank you guys enough. I realize that that in it's current state it probably isn't deserving of such a rating, but it will be soon. The biggest issue the app faces right now is specific to Android devices, where the search and category filter options are broken. We are investigating the issue in depth and hope to have it solved this week. You can download the app HERE
A big thank you goes out to our developers at Hammrtech LLC . Their dedication to this project has been tireless providing 24/7 support and moving our community forward faster than I could have hoped. Contact them for any web development needs you might have if you want a professional and veteran run team on your side!
If you have any recommendations for the site or notice any bugs, please DM the page or email me at [email protected]